Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V is for Veruca Salt


One of my favorite stories of all time is Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I love the book, and I absolutely adored Johnny Depp's interpretation of Wonka in the modern flick. (Even creepy, Johnny is a a hottie...)

Jessica Bell and I have teamed up for the A-Z blogging challenge this year to talk about our musical muses - a band/artist or song that has inspired, or affected us in some way. I'm fairly certain the band VERUCA SALT only made my list because she's my favorite Roald Dahl character.

I love the way her name rolls off my tongue. I love her bratty disposition. If I could have found a clever way to name my blog after her, I probably would have...

Instead, I latched on to the band Veruca Salt. They were just shy of being a one hit wonder, logging a couple of popular tunes and a small legion of loyal fans. Volcano Girls is my favorite of their songs.


I considered Vixen, too, but in the end thought my emotional attachment was closer to Veruca Salt. Which "V" band would you select?


Need a little something for comparison? Here's a "classic" track from the girl rock group Vixen. Who says glam rock was only for boys?



Now, go check out some of the other blogs taking part in the A-Z Blogging challenge, including my Dawn Dalton blog where I'm talking about awesome YA books, and the Most-Wanted Monsters blog where Judith and I are writing poems and talking smack about some creeptastic beasties.

- Dawn

7 comments:

  1. This is so awesome. SAME BAND TODAY! WOOT!!! And yep, this song woulda been my second choice to embed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Violent Femmes!

    Though Veruca Salt is an excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't even heard of the band--I like them. I haven't seen the modern Willy Wonka either--totally need to. I despise the Veruca Salt of the early movie-I want to smack her. I like the overall story and love Roald Dahl, but I couldn't have put up with any of those horrible children.

    I echo Violent Femmes as my V band--my college years were filled with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost blogged about Velvet Crush for a V band - great 90s power pop trio. Always enjoyed Veruca though! Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Vixen. I like their attitude and their music. :-)

    My 17 year old son and I go to quite a few rock concerts. Not long ago we were discussing women rockers--he feels women don't do as well in the genre. So I went hunting for good rockin' women on You tube. We listened and he was impressed with some of them.

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked Vixen. Yes, for all the wrong reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of Veruca Salt, but Vixen was okay. I'd have gone with Van Halen. You do remember them! lol

    ReplyDelete