Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Q is for Queen


After the movie Wayne's World debuted, pretty much everyone knew all of the words to QUEEN's Bohemian Rhapsody. A few of you even allowed your heads to "bang."

Jessica Bell and I have teamed up for the A-Z blogging challenge this year to talk about our musical muses - a band/artist or song that has inspired, or affected us in some way.

I grew up listening to Queen.

They're one of those bands with a million songs, most of which I don't realize they sing until I hear them again. Of course, I'm up to speed on all of the classics (though some people might argue every Queen song is a classic) - but I have a feeling I'll be getting to know their back list a little more now that former American Idol contestant Adam Lambert has signed on as their new frontman. (I know, some of you just threw up a little in your mouth...)

As you may have figured out, I'm a bit of an Idol junkie. Even though I swore off the show when Adam didn't win (the rockers never do), I keep going back for me. Adam's new success reminds me it's ok to watch the show even if my faves get kicked off...the careers of the runner-ups don't appear to be suffering. Here's hoping this season's Idol rocker Colton Dixon fares as well!

And now for a little Bohemian Rhapsody. Go ahead, bang your head....



Speaking of head banging, Quiet Riot ALMOST made the list.


Queen, Queensryche, Quiet Riot or some other "Q" band? I must know.

Now, go check out some of the other blogs taking part in the A-Z Blogging challenge, including my Dawn Dalton blog where I'm talking about awesome YA books, and the Most-Wanted Monsters blog where Judith and I are writing poems and talking smack about some creeptastic beasties.

- Dawn

10 comments:

  1. Queen is one of my favourite bands of all time! There is barely a song of theirs that I don't love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was right :) Wasn't a tough one to guess! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Queen. Love, love, love. There was a symphony written inspired by their songs - love that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of any other Q bands. And I'm with you regarding Colton - he rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved me some Queen...still do. I am not much of a Lambert fan and am shocked about what you said about him being the new frontman.

    Another decent Q band is Queens of the Stone Age.

    I'd tell you who was kicked off American Idol but don't want to be a spoiler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Queen is one of those bands that I appreciate more now than I did in my teen years in the 80s. I have introduced them to my daughter over the years, and nothing warms my heart more than to hear her sweet 10 yr old voice doing a duet with Freddy in the back seat to "Don't Stop Me Now"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, we must be of the same generation! I love Queen. Nothing like Fat Bottom Girls in a Bicycle Race! LOL Or is it that I want Somebody To Love but all they are is Stone Cold Crazy? IDK! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Queen! Bohemian Rhapsody is a great song to sing in the car with a bunch of friends when it comes on the radio. Even if you don't know all of the lyrics. :)

    ReplyDelete