Saturday, October 31, 2009

Rose coloured glasses

The world is a different place when you're wearing rose-coloured glasses. It isn't that the hues of a sunset are more vivid with them on or even that things just seem a little bit more silly, like crazy mirrors in a funhouse. I suppose it all boils down to perception.

When the rose coloured glasses are firmly tucked on your face, or even slightly perched on the tip of your nose, "people" seem nicer. That crimson shade offers a clever disguise.

It's when you take the glasses off and all of that hidden ugliness appears that you feel you've been sucker punched in the gut.

I realized recently that I've been wearing rose coloured glasses for about the last 14 years (give or take a few months during the annual "leave") I didn't take them off willingly - I kind of got blind sided. But things are much clearer now.

Sure, it took a few shaky days to get used to the blurriness - the confusion and hurt that sometimes goes with change.

But now that I've thrown those junky specs in the trash, my vision is completely clear. Huh. For the first time in my life, I have perfect 20/20 vision and I have to admit, the future looks so much brighter.


4 comments:

  1. That's a great story, Dawn! And it turned out well, since your book is published and out there. Have you joined a writers group? They do many of those reading and editing functions. I was president of the Brandywine Valley Writers Group in Pennsylvania (www.bvwg.org)-- there must be a writers group near you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayne, I am blessed with an incredible critique group that not only inspires me, but also keeps me protected from "first draft" embarrassment. My mentor is a firm advocate of writing groups and I'm lucky to have found a local one that is as committed, understanding and loyal as I am.

    Not to mention their talent :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you too, Dawn. Believe it.

    ReplyDelete