Monday, December 12, 2011

My muse is not "this" Jack

At least not this time.

It's true Kiefer Sutherland (aka: Jack Bauer) has been my muse avatar more times than I can count. And it's not that he doesn't completely fulfill the role (he does!) - and my crush on him is legendary in my household. I own all eight seasons of 24, and many Kiefer Sutherland movies. It's doubtful I'll get over him any time soon... (sorry handsome, hubby...)

It's just that there's a new Jack in my life now - one infinitely cuter than Jack Bauer (no, seriously) and this new Jack has completely stolen my heart.

My new nephew, Jack Lawrence.

He was born at 9:30 a.m. yesterday, and though I have only one picture of his sweet and perfect face, I know no other Jack will ever take his place in my heart. I now understand the phrase, love at first sight.

My sister lives a billion miles away from me - okay, just across the country, but yesterday, it felt like we were world's apart. I'm dying to hug her, and tell her how proud I am of her - and I am going crazy not being able to give my new nephew a hug.

This isn't my first nephew - my sister's husband has two awesome boys who stole my heart the first time I met them. My sister-in-law also has a beautiful son and a beautiful daughter. I love them all, completely. But there's something so special about this moment, that instant when I heard her trembling voice on the other end of the line telling me about her son.

Her son.


I've been an emotional basketcase since that early morning call, caught between smiling hysterically and crying uncontrollably. His picture is now my screen saver, my phone wallpaper, and imprinted in my mind. Every perfect detail.

I actually can't stop thinking about him.

And so this week - and likely for some time to come, my nephew, baby Jack Lawrence, is my muse. But Jack Bauer can still do the avatar part.

Have an amazing week. I know I will <3

- Dawn

The Book In My Bag Today: Heartsick, Chelsea Cain

6 comments:

  1. Congrats Auntie Dawn! Jack is a worthy Muse and I'm sure he'll carry you further and faster than any previous Monday Muse ever could! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome!!! I hope you find your way to your sister's soon so you can hug her and your newest muse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! How wonderful!!! Congratulations to all of you, and hugs to baby Jack. :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Congratulations! You got me all teary. I felt that way when my niece was born. Like she was sort of mine. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete