Thursday, January 13, 2011

Let's hear it for the Bench

I'm addicted to Bench.

Not the park variety, but the clothing - like the awesome jacket pictured here. When I think about all of the reasons I want to lose weight, I confess, rocking a Bench shirt is at the top of my list.

Almost ten pounds ago, I spent my time in the local Bench stores gazing at all of the clothes with admiration - and bitterness. I'd long ago stopped trying them on. I have two Bench sweatshirts, both bought when I was several pounds slimmer, and though one of them kind of looks okay, the other is hanging in my closet with hope.

Yesterday, I bit the bullet and - gasp - tried some of the clothes on.

A t-shirt FIT!

So I immediately bought it. And wore it.

To dance.

*gulp*

If you don't know me, you're probably wrinkling your eyebrows in confusion. Who cares, right? Well those who've hung out with me at J'Adore Dance know that my typical attire is semi-loose workout pants and the baggiest, longest t-shirt my handsome husband will let me leave the house in.

Silly, silly Dawn.

I'm a hell of a long way from loving myself in the mirror, and my rhythm is far from cool, but last night I jazzed it up with LIESA at Dance Quickie, popped it with JESSICA at Fit Hop AND strutted it with DEANNE at Naughty Hottie.

All in my new Bench shirt.

Truthfully, I love clothes. (Ironically, my good friend Jessica at the Alliterative Allomorph is talking about why she hates clothes on her blog today, and blogger pal Hart often discusses the benefits of being naked...all the time.) I know all of the side benefits that go along with losing weight, but for me, the number one reason I long for a slim body is because with few exceptions, the coolest clothes - like Bench - are made for skinny girls.

For most, purchasing that t-shirt wouldn't be a big deal. For me, it was the catalyst for all kinds of awesomeness. I raced home from work and showered. DID my hair, knowing I had three hours of sweat-inducing dance. I threw on the shirt and came downstairs - and watched my husband's eyes pop out of his head.

I arrived at dance still thinking about the look on his face, and was greeted by Donna who told me the weight loss was evident. And Jessica, who admired the shirt and praised me for stepping out of my comfort zone. (Hey, when someone you look up to compliments you, it's a BIG deal.)

Motivated by this outpouring of affection, I stood taller, focussed harder, and I actually didn't mind myself in the mirror. No, really.

Even more astonishing is this: I'd packed two other shirts in my bag, both baggy, in case my reflection scared me. When after Dance Quickie I didn't change, I patted myself on the back. But when I kept it on even after Fit Hop and throughout Naughty Hottie, I went home and made myself a well-deserved martini.

The Book in My Bag Today: Motor Mouth, Janet Evanovich

PS - My friend Karen and I are embarking on a fitness journey in 2011, with the goal of each losing 50 pounds. We're blogging about it here.

8 comments:

  1. haha, this is such a coincedence! LOL Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone. I used to love clothes. I used to wear the weirdest most wonderful clothes about ten years ago. I still LOVE looking at them and imagining myself in them. I even buy them. but I hardly wear them. I do when I go out. but I hate it. I hate feeling uncomfortable. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have posted a pic of you. You looked fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for you! Keep up the great work, benchy~ :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your clothing should always flatter your body and in my experience baggy is never better (well unless your rocking baggy hip hop pants with a cute tight shirt). You looked so good last night girl! Keep it up! I am super jealous of your gorgeous rack :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwww you GO girl. YEs, I said it. And that jacket is HOT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this post because I KNOW you and know how far down you get.
    KUDOS @ Bench.
    Love. It. ( and YOU)
    xxoo
    j

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go! I'll check out the other blog!

    ReplyDelete