Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Getting creative in the kitchen

Photo by Taste of Home Recipes
I've never professed to be a good cook. While I'm armed with a few (and that's pushing it) recipes that make handsome hubby drool, I tend to lean on him for kitchen creativity. 

On Sunday mornings, I love sitting at the table writing, surfing the net, or reading while he whips up an incredible breakfast. 

Yeah, I'm lucky like that. 

But from that jar of "all-about-me-hearts" beside me bed, I drew "Make cookies." I know, somewhat ironic for someone who spends three quarters of the year cursing Susie Homemaker. 

The truth is, making cookies makes me happy. I like finding new recipes, and I love (love!) the smile on hubby's face when he sees that I've baked them. I could make the WORST cookies in the world and he makes me feel like a professional baker. Lucky, I know.

Yesterday however, I did not make bad cookies. I think, perhaps, I made the best cookies ever, mostly because I wasn't allowed to use the same-old recipes. Part of picking a "heart" for each day is to help me break out of my comfort zone. I know handsome hubby loves my soft peanut butter cookies, but making them felt too "safe." 

These Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies? Now that was a risk!

The recipe isn't mine, and I admit, I didn't add the pecans (had none) and my icing didn't look quite as thick, but truly, these cookies rocked. 

Sadly, due to my "other" resolutions, I can't EAT very many of them. Not to worry though, hubby had all but polished them off last night.

The Book In My Bag Today: Living Dead in Dallas, Charlaine Harris



Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 16 to 18 large marshmallows

  • Icing
  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pecan halves

Directions


  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg, milk and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; beat into creamed mixture.
  • Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Meanwhile, cut marshmallows in half. Press a marshmallow half, cut side down, onto each cookie. Return to the oven for 2 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
  • For icing, in a small saucepan, combine butter, cocoa and milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Cool slightly; transfer to a small bowl. beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread over the cooled cookies. Top each with a pecan half. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 246 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 201 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.

8 comments:

  1. those cookies look amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You included the recipe?!

    Arrrghh!! There goes the diet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LTM - seriously amazing. Make them!

    Sorry, DONNA. Me loves you... xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I hold you responsible or my soon-to-be erratic baking behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made cookies but you can't eat any of them?! That is TORTURE.

    It's kind of like you posting all the gorgeous half naked muses! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly unfair that your hubby is 6 foot upteen inches tall. Those delish cookies get evenly distributed in his TEN freaken percent body fat.
    Argh.
    Me? I probably gained two pounds reading your blog.
    Thank for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JESS - I'm pretty sure S won't mind :-) So I can't apologize... xo

    SUZANNE - Did I mention "increasing willpower" is a 2011 resolution?

    JAMIE - Ha! I think he's down to 9 percent now. I keep finding every percentage he loses. Agree - not fair.

    ReplyDelete