Saturday, April 24, 2010

Books, books, books!

My "To Be Read" pile was already groaning before the weekend. Today, it's grunting from the effort of keeping upright.

I (heart) used book sales.

Don't get me wrong - I spend my fair share (and then some) of hard-earned bucks at Chapters. My bookshelf is crammed with sparkling new hardcovers by my favourite authors.

But there's something endearing about used books.

At the Canwest Raise-a-Reader sale in Edmonton last night, I reconnected with a few classics, the books I've lent out over the years and never seen again, or the novels that somehow got lost in a series of Western Canadian moves.

Restocking my shelves is an important reason to peruse the sale, but a used book buffet also offers affordable options to my typical reading pile. After all, I discovered Chelsea Cain in the bargain bin, an author that has become one of my favourites. After falling in love with Heartsick, I raced to the store for the next books in the series, recommended her to all of my friends, and bought several copies of Heartsick as gifts.

Still, I admit feeling slightly guilty about picking up The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire for $1 each. The spines are not even cracked, every page intact.

I soothe that guilt knowing every dollar I've spent at that sale this weekend will be used to create literacy programs for Edmonton youth.

Live in the Edmonton area? Spend some time at the Aviation Museum and reconnect with some of your favourite books - or experience the thrill of discovering a new author. The sale runs 9-5 Saturday and 11-3 on Sunday.

The Book In My Bag Today: Once Bitten, Twice Shy, Jennifer Rardin

1 comment:

  1. Great! I'll have to get my butt down there :)

    ReplyDelete