Monday, June 3, 2013

An adrenalized muse

I want to write a movie that includes a long car chase.

Yeah, I know it's been done before. For sure six times in the Fast and the Furious franchise, which, by the way, is my guilty pleasure. I love Vin Diesel. I love Paul Walker.

I love fast cars.

Ever seen Gone in 60 Seconds with Nic Cage? Eleanor is my dream car (1967 Shelby GT 500) - I even have a model of her on my desk. Call her my daily dose of inspiration.

Back when I was a starving journalist, my dream car was a Toyota Celica. I had a picture of one taped up in my cubicle, and promised myself that when I met my first professional career milestone, I'd buy it. When I left journalism for a slightly more lucrative career in communications, I made it happen. She was blue, souped up (though that's a different story), and very, very fast. She shifted like a dream, and cornered like she was on rails... *sigh*

But, she was the crappiest car in the world for Alberta, where nine months of winter wreaks serious havoc on a low profile, adrenalized sports car. (Important note: I never hurt her, though she was broken into and my stereo stolen...) I sold her about six years ago, trading in speed for the "responsible" Alberta vehicle. An SUV.

Thus making my father - and my poor dog (who crammed herself into the front seat for road trips) - extremely happy. But even though I opted for the sportiest SUV I could find, I still think about my Celica.

Every day.

Especially in the summer when the hot rods hit the streets.

These days, I fuel that adrenaline rush hole through movies with cars. Preferably hot cars. Going fast.

Yeah, I get that Vin Diesel is not the best actor, and that if not for Paul's pretty boy looks, The Fast and the Furious franchise would appeal mostly to men. I know the plot is thin, and the dialogue is cliched (especially in this last movie!). But there's action.

Lots and lots of action.

And I likes that.

So someday - not today, not tomorrow, maybe not for a few years - I'm going to write a screenplay with a long, long, LONG car chase. And if Vin Diesel is still racing cars on screen, then heck, he can hop in the driver's seat and take me for a ride. (Please?)

Unless of course Ryan Gosling wants the role. Because even though I *think* I want to write something fun and frivolous like The Fast and the Furious, I probably really want to write something a little more like Drive.

I'd just give Ryan a much better looking car.

This week - and for the past two weeks - I've been revising an old project that my script agent requested, and getting ready for some ultra cool upcoming meetings - which means fresh word count is WAY down.

I've leaned on Kiefer for a couple weeks to kick my revisions butt into gear. After treating myself to a movie break this weekend, I think I'll hand the muse avatar torch over to Mr. Diesel. He doesn't have to spout encouraging dialogue (I can do without the cliches) - all he has to do is look pretty and drive me across the finish line.

Fast.

Happy Monday!

- Dawn


RESOLUTION STATS

Total words last week: 0 (at least NEW words...)
Total words to date for 2013: 81,662

Total pounds lost for week: 0
Total pounds lost to date for 2013: 27 

Books read last week: 1
Total books read to date for 2013: 9

Movies watched last week: 1
Movies watched to date in 2013: 8

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarious! I've been MIA for about a year and I love that as soon as I check out your blog, you're still writing about hot dudes! You rock! ;)

    ReplyDelete