Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Amelia Xerces Duffy launches tomorrow in Brooks

Illustrator extraordinaire James Grasdal and I are heading to Brooks, Alberta tomorrow to launch the fifth book in the Chase Duffy education-adventure series published by the Alberta Canola Producers.

Yeah, maybe I say this about each book, but this story - and the amazing accompanying artwork - is my "new" favorite. I mean, take a look at the awesome cover!

We're launching at the Outstanding In Our Field event in Brooks, with more than 400 young readers in attendance. At every launch, I grow more proud of the creativity, collaboration and support that makes these books so special.

James and I are lucky to have a contract for 10 books thanks to the generous support from the Alberta Canola Commission Board of Directors and the Alberta Crop Industry Development Fund.

So far, I've traveled to Saskatchewan to see the roots of Canadian canola, become friends with the inventor of the only Jet Fuel Funny Car to run on 100% canola biodiesel, hung out with Canadian astronaut Robert Thirsk (who took 250,000 canola seeds into space!), created a mystery around some delicious canola-inspired recipes, and interviewed an entomologist that single-handedly curbed my fear of spiders. Pretty awesome gig, right?

Each week, I write a blog in the lead character's voice. Chase also has a Facebook page, an Instagram profile, and a Tumblr page. Plus, Chase writes daily tweets for teachers!

The Chase Duffy books are free for Alberta educators. For more information, or to purchase copies, please contact the Alberta Canola Producers Commission at 1-800-551-6652 or reception@canola.ab.ca.

Gotta jet! It's off to Brooks we go...

- Dawn






No comments:

Post a Comment