Sunday, October 9, 2011

Thanksgiving with Monday's muse avatar

My family is celebrating its first Canadian Thanksgiving in our new house this year.

While there's much to be thankful for, and handsome hubby is helping me stuff a turkey, our household decor is more geared to Halloween.

Don't judge.

If you're a Halloween junkie like us, check out my daily Dawn Dalton blog to see some of the cool stuff we've created - like a chicken wire ghost that will send chills down your spine, a meatloaf hand that will gross out your party guests, and easy mason jar lanterns guaranteed to make you smile.

But, uh, back to Thanksgiving.

It's been an up and down year, if I'm going to be honest. There's been a number of low points, but the highs definitely outweigh the rest.

In no particular order, I'm grateful for:

  • An amazing husband who offers me unconditional love and support. He's my best friend, my prince charming, and the love of my life. How lucky am I? Very.
  • My beautiful stepdaughter. She brings happiness and life to me that only a child can - and I love her with every ounce of my being.
  • My extended family - close and distant, and those who have passed. Each plays such an important role in my life and I am grateful for every minute we've shared. (And I wish we lived closer...)
  • My small, but vital, network of friends. And I do mean vital.
  • Three loving dogs - and nine healthy puppies. It's been a houseful, but I am thankful to have had the chance to witness the magic of raising puppies. As they leave to their forever homes, I am grateful for the happiness they bring to each loving family.
  • A beautiful home in the country. Away from the stress of the city. Nestled in a small hamlet. Where I can relax in a sunroom my husband created, or write in the loft office I've always dreamed of.
  • Deadlines and meeting them. I'm so excited to be a part of the SPIRITED anthology with some truly talented writers of paranormal young adult fiction. 
  • Writing. My release. My torture. My life blood. Thank goodness my husband and stepdaughter get this.
And for um, Kiefer Sutherland, this week's muse avatar. I've been at a bit of a loss since 24 completed - few men can truly compete with Jack Bauer. But in the midst of all the new TV drama I've been sucking up, I found out something amazing: Kiefer is coming back to my small screen this Spring.

I'm coming back this week. Editing my short story THREAD OF THE PAST, for the SPIRITED anthology was grueling. I learned so much from Kat, the Leap Books editor, but until I was certain the story was as strong as it could be, it's all I've thought about. 

Ineffective when so many other projects hang in wait.

I've got three major works in progress on the go, and I'm planning to do NaNoWriMo (National November Writing Month) this year, now that I have a NaNo buddy. 

Jack Bauer, er, Kiefer is the perfect muse avatar to kick my butt in gear. 

To all my Canadian peeps, have an awesome Thanksgiving. May you count your blessings, and stuff your bellies.

- Dawn

The Book In My Bag Today: The Hypnotist, Lars Kepler

3 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! I'm so glad you have so much to be thankful for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, yeah! Happy thanksgiving to you guys. I'm thankful for all those things as well--the network, the husband. I'll be thankful for one more thing soon, I hope. Have a great holiday~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete